Get in early to reserve your spot on our 2017 Indianapolis 500 Escorted Tour.
We take an exclusive tour to Indy every year and are delighted to have motor racing enthusiast Willie Kay hosting our group again-this will be his 36th tour to Indy.
Willie is a congenial, professional, well organised tour escort with immense knowledge and motor racing contacts, which helps give this trip its legendary reputation.
MONDAY 22 MAY
Outbound flight NZ – Los Angeles
You will be met on arrival by tour host Willie Kay (please look for the Sporting Tours Indy 500 Tour sign.) and transferred to:
CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL
5955 W Century Blvd,
Los Angeles Airport
After check in, sightseeing in Los Angeles visiting points of interest and Auto Museums, and the National Hot Rod Association Museum in Pomona.
TUESDAY 23 MAY
Transfer to the Airport for your flight Los Angeles to Indianapolis
On arrival transfer to:
9320 N. Michigan Road,
In the evening you will enjoy “get together drinks with tour host Willie Kay”
WEDNESDAY 24 MAY
Visit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, tour the Hall of Fame Museum, take a lap around the track and visit the souvenir stands.
This evening visit Terre Haute for the “Tony Hulman Classic” USAC Sprint Cars and supporting events on the Half Mile dirt track.
THURSDAY 25 MAY
Visit the motor racing shops and points of interest in the Indianapolis area. You will get an insider’s view of an Indy Car work shop, visit a private racing car collection, the Indianapolis Museum restoration shop and other points of interest. Visit gasoline alley and the garage area, see the famed Indy 500 track for the Freedom 100 practice and qualifying. This evening attend the Silver Crown Hoosier 100 race at the Indianapolis State Fairgrounds.
FRIDAY 26 MAY
Carburation Day. This is the last chance for the final chassis tuning for the Indy Cars and is a great opportunity to watch the action. Following the Indy Car practice the Indy Lights cars race for 40 laps in the Freedom 100. At the completion of the Freedom 100 race, the Indy Car teams hold their Pit Stops competition, competing for US$50,000. This evening attend the USAC Silver Crown Cars and supporting races on the 5/8 mile paved oval at Indianapolis Raceway Park.
SATURDAY 27 MAY
Pre- race festivities for the Indy 500 begin with Legends Day at the Indy track including vintage race car displays and autograph sessions. Attend the public Indy 500 drivers meeting then watch the parade through down town. The second largest parade in the USA this event reflects America’s love of parades and it is a spectacle well worth watching. In the evening attend the 67th running of the Little 500 on the 1/4 mile high banked paved oval at Anderson Speedway. Thirty three non- winged sprint cars start three wide for 500 laps in this “mini” Indy race that has become a tradition and a fitting climax for the build up to the Indy 500.
The day we have all been waiting for, the highlight of the Tour, the INDIANAPOLIS 500
Gates open at 6.00 am and pre -race ceremonies including a spectacle of bands, a vintage race car demonstration, celebrity introductions, driver introductions, renditions of “America the Beautiful”,” God Bless America”, the united States National Anthem, the Invocation, the playing of the “Taps” and a military fly over provide the entertainment until “drivers to your cars” at 12.06pm, followed by the singing of “Back Home Again in Indiana”. The command “start your engines” is given at 12.17pm and the green flag waves for the start of the race at 12.20pm. For the next three hours watch the greatest spectacle of motor racing. Grandstand seats that we believe to be the best in the house have been reserved for you.
MONDAY 29 MAY
Rain day for the Indy 500. In the evening we are privileged to attend the official Indy 500 Victory Awards Celebration Banquet. Join celebrities, former drivers, sponsors and team owners to hear the Indy 500 drivers make their acceptance speeches as they receive their prize money cheques and awards. More than US $13 million is distributed at this exclusive event which is televised live and is a great ending to the tour. A table has been reserved for tour members. Business attire (jacket & tie recommended).
TUESDAY 30 MAY
Transfer to the airport for your flight home – or why not extend your stay in USA.
* The above Itinerary may be subject to change
TOUR COSTS (per person)
Single room basis $9,580.
Share double/twin room basis $8,280
LAND ONLY PACKAGE (excludes air fares)
Single room basis $6,790
Share double/twin room basis $5,620
- Return economy Class air fares (Full Package)
- All airline levies, fuel surcharges NZ & USA departure taxes (Full Package)
- One night at Crowne Plaza Hotel (or similar) Los Angeles Airport, including early check in.
- Seven nights at Drury Inn Indianapolis
- Daily cooked breakfast at Drury Inn
- Evening “Kick Back and Relax” sessions with hot food and cold beverages at the Drury Inn
- Get together drinks with tour host
- Group transfers by minivan for the duration of the tour
- Admission to Auto Museums in Los Angeles and the National Hot Rod Museum Pomona
- Admission to Hall of Fame Museum
- Entry to Indy 500 and Pit/Gasoline Alley access
- Tickets to Terre Haute Speedway, Freedom 100 race, Silver Crown Hoosier 100 race, Carburation Day, USAC Silver Crown Cars, Legends Day, Indy 500 Parade and Anderson Speedway Sprint Cars
- Reserved Grandstand seat for Indianapolis 500
- Boxed lunches on the days of Indy 500 Parade and Indy 500
- Indy 500 Victory Awards Celebration Banquet
- Local sightseeing in Los Angeles and Indianapolis
- Sporting Tours back pack, cap, poncho and sports cushion
- Services of tour host Willie Kay (subject to a minimum of 10 persons travelling)
All costs are subject to availability at time of booking and subject to any increases in air fares, airline levies and fuel surcharges. NZ USA departure taxes, hotel; rates, rental vehicle rates, event ticket prices and currency fluctuation at time of travel.ENQUIRE NOW